Higher Education Act
AccessLex believes that the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act presents a strong opportunity to strengthen graduate and professional education to help students better manage its expense and succeed in their chosen careers. Read AccessLex Institute's policy recommendations for the Higher Education Act.
AccessLex supports amending the current bankruptcy code to ease the discharge of student loans in bankruptcy proceedings. Read AccessLex Institute's policy proposal and more on bankruptcy.
- AccessLex Institute Statement on Changes to Bankruptcy Code to Protect Student Loan Borrowers
- Policy Proposal: Bankruptcy Discharge and Education Loans
- Frequently Asked Questions: Bankruptcy Discharge and Education Loans
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
AccessLex supports preserving the original intent of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program and ensuring that graduate and professional students continue to receive fair treatment and ultimate forgiveness of their educational debt. Read AccessLex Institute's policy proposal and analysis related to PSLF.
- Policy Proposal: Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Policy Analysis: Impact of Potential Changes to Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (Updated July 2016)
- Federal Income-Driven Repayment Plans
Data and Accountability
AccessLex supports improving comprehensive higher education data for stakeholders who need this information to make crucial decisions. Students and their families need better data to help them choose the right college and program that best fits their needs. Institutions need current and robust data to effectively serve students. Policymakers need data to inform decisions related to accountability and funding. Read AccessLex Institute's policy proposals related to data and accountability
- Policy Position: Student Unit Record Data System
- Policy Position: Federal Cohort Default Rates and Law Schools